Harry, Kathleen, Sydney and Julia Watts have moved to Yokosuka, Japan. Here is how our life as a Gaijin (Japanese for foreigner) has been developing.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

What do the Japanese need?

Central Heat for one! The idea of seeing your breath when going to bed isn't what I have dreamed for my future, but for right now it is something we have learned to deal with. On most nights Harry and I go to bed where the room temperature is around 55 degrees. We have a heated mattress pad, thanks to my good friend Sarah, that keeps us warm all night and so the cold bedroom isn't so bad, unless you have to go and feed Julia or go to the bathroom. The girls of course sleep in warm, climate controlled rooms at 70 degrees. Harry and I could do this too, but our electricity bill is already too high and we really have gotten used to it. We have now figured out why the entire Japanese family sleep in one room together. Now the cold bathroom is another thing. I know every one is cold when they get out of the shower, but imagine getting out of our shower. It's usually in the low 50s so Harry has a rude awakening in the morning when he gets out.

No comments: