Harry, Kathleen, Sydney and Julia Watts have moved to Yokosuka, Japan. Here is how our life as a Gaijin (Japanese for foreigner) has been developing.

Monday, June 01, 2009

How to say goodbye?

As many of you have been reading, we finally have orders, and we are heading home to Peoria. I have been absent from my home town since 1992 except for a summer here and there and of course vacations. Unfortuneately our arrival home will be 15 days too late. We received news last week that my Grandma was not doing well. She had been in the hospital for a minor surgery, but when you are 90 nothing is ever minor. She did well and recovered and was even going to start to receive real food when she started not feeling well. Needless to say she didn't do well after that and joined my grandpa in heaven at 0225 Friday May 29th. I am at peace with her death and though I wish I could have been there to hear the stories that everyone tells at funerals and see all the family, the trip would have been a difficult one for me since we are leaving Japan on June 12th. So I was left with the difficult decision of what would help me get through this difficult time. I was also left with the idea that leaving for the funeral wouldn't allow me to say a proper goodbye to my friends here in Japan and all the experiences we have had here as a family. I would have missed coffee after church with our friends, going to Tokyo for the day and just enjoying the roller slides with the girls. Then Sunday at Mass, it came to me. Grandma needed to go to heaven so she could see where I have lived, given birth to Julia, worshipped and grown so much as a person. I couldn't be happier for her to see our house(though it is a disaster),see the girls with all their friends and know we have been truly happy here. So now that I must say goodbye I will remember all the good conversations we have had, the advice she has given and the love she has shared. I know it was your time and I have no choice in this but it gives me peace to think you finally got to see Japan.

5 comments:

The Krentz Family said...

What a lovely entry, Kathleen. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Always.

Marcia said...

Kathleen, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. The love you have for your grandmother and the relationship you had with her was so beautifully said in this "Goodbye". I know because I felt the same way about my grandmother and our home on Amberly and life in Missouri. We love you.

Diane said...

You brought tears to my eyes. I know you have been sad, but your usual thoughtful insight appears to have helped you find the perfect words to say goodbye to your grandma...and to Japan. I miss you!

TMRAS said...

Great entry Kathleen! Sorry that you're not with you Grandma in Peoria. It sounds like you had a great relationship with her, which is amazing!
Hope everything is going well back home in the Midwest.
I think of you often, especially when I'm at Seika with Rowen.
We miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

So...It's August and I am just now reading this entry...It was so moving...I am sorry about your Grandmother, I know that she was very special to you. I am glad that your girls were able to meet her! I know that was important to you! I miss you!

RMS