Harry, Kathleen, Sydney and Julia Watts have moved to Yokosuka, Japan. Here is how our life as a Gaijin (Japanese for foreigner) has been developing.

Friday, April 03, 2009

Tokyo Marathon....not!

Well we did go and watch the Tokyo Marathon and some of us ran some of it this year but only 10k of the 42k. I signed up last fall for the 10k race that is in conjunction with the Tokyo Marathon. With 50,000 people in the race I thought for sure this would be on for the record books and I was right. It was a mad house and I couldn't believe all the people. The Japanese in general are quiet, you don't honk your horn, talk on the phone in train or restaurant and never have your ringer on in public. I was quite surprised by the cheering that they did on the race course, I am sure it is nothing compared to a marathon in the US but for this country I was impressed. The race was good for me and no hills which made it even better. I enjoyed the challenge of a 10k, since a year ago I could barely run a mile, and think that distance is perfect for me. I hope to do more races soon and looking forward to running with Stephanie, Sarah and Angie when I return home. You gals pick the races and I will be there!

3 comments:

Sidewalk Noisemaker said...

According to Marathon Man, the Japanese do a MUCH better job cheering on runners than the people lining the sidewalks in America. We are SO proud of you.

Kathleen Watts said...

Who is sidewalk noisemaker?

Sidewalk Noisemaker said...

Someone who is usually peevish . . .